Future of LFS

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun May 18 21:00:25 PDT 2008

> I'd do the automation in conjunction with the new appendix as that would make
> the development easier.

Great, looking forward to see what a finished product may look like.

I'd also like to put the following considerations forward.

Rather than pulling in the bootscripts into the book and document around
them, why don't we enhance the bootscripts themselves by adding more
comments to them. It will make them self-explanatory without going
through the trouble of making a duplicate of them inside the LFS book.

We can still add extra information to the book (back to chapter 7 as the
location for such a thing) without displaying the actual scripts.

There's just so much source code we could conveniently add to the book
for reference. The bootscripts may be a bit of a special case vs an
actual program package, but I'm still wondering about whether to do so
or not.

Your proposed method would require us to re-generate a book every time
the bootscript package is updated or released. The two are no longer
independent like every other package is. Again, granted, the bootscripts
package is always more directly tied to LFS than an outside package. It
doesn't have to be, though.

Gerard