Future of LFS

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun May 18 20:50:04 PDT 2008

Gerard Beekmans wrote:
>> Do you want me to start on adding this to the book as Appendix D?
>
> Can I see a finished renderring not quite part of SVN yet.

It will take a couple of days, but yes, I can do that.

> You mentioned you had to pre-process the scripts (ampersands,
> greater-than symbols and the like). This'll of course need to be
> automated as you also mentioned.
>
> This would means we have two versions of each bootscript - the actual
> script and a book formatted version thereof.

> To help with the automation it may become necessary to make this process
> part of a Makefile target which processes the bootscript files and
> outputs to a new file location. Perhaps the processed files should live
> within the LFS BOOK repository (ie in the appendix directory).

I was going to modify the Makefile to put the files in BOOK/tmp where the other
temporary files are.  Generating new files with sed each time will ensure
accuracy and the seds will run pretty fast so the increase in rendering time
would be negligble.

> I'm not sure if that's the best way to go but just an idea.
>
> I'd like to see first what it'd look like as an end product. The actual
> implementation of automating the process would be the next discussion.

I'd do the automation in conjunction with the new appendix as that would make
the development easier.

   -- Bruce