RPM vs DEB vs Slackware-like tgz

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun May 18 18:54:53 PDT 2008

This continues the emails Alexander sent a while back (March 5).

Alexander, am I correct in my assumption that you would consider RPM a
good choice and DEB a bad choice for LFS purposes.

Your emails made it sound (to me) that deb would be a lot harder to
implement, maintain and understand (config file wise ie debian/rules
files). RPM, on the other hand, sounds a lot simpler to implement and
maintain as far as you are concerned.

Dan, you have done a lot of work with RPM spec files for LFS. Is there
anything you wish to add to what Alexander said back then and your own
reply to it?

Is there any reason why you would recommend going against the RPM route
if the book were to take one PM method as a sample implementation (much
like we provide a working SysV sample implementation just to show how it
can be done and also a working starting point in case people don't wish
to build one from scratch for themselves).

Gerard