Future of LFS

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun May 18 14:03:36 PDT 2008

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> Take a look at http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/wiki/LFSFuture

In some cases, the changes proposed only require general agreement of what to do
and the accomplishment of the task would be relatively easy.  In others, the
changes would be pervasive throughout the book.

This is my take on the issues:

    1. Educational content

This is still the most important aspect of the book.  Adding more educational
content is always good.  A couple of things that I would like to see is
elaboration of the meaning of what the configuration of packages mean with the
emphasis on udev and the kernel.  A discussion of modules vs compiling in
drivers would be useful.

I would also like to add the boot scripts to the book as appendices with some
more comments in the scripts as to what is happening.

I'd also like to expand Chapter 7 to explain the boot process better starting
with how the kernel finds init and what happens when it is found.  Pointers to
alternative boot methods and a description of what they do differently from
System V in the book would not be inappropriate.

    2. Package management and automation

This is one of two difficult areas to address.  How to present PM and how to
integrate it into the book will take a lot of time to reach consensus on the
approach to take.  It would basically affect every page in Chapter 6.

    3. Linux Standards Base

This is more of a BLFS issue, but should be addressed in LFS as it sets a
foundation for the user's "distro."  Things like FHS should also be discussed as
a part of the intro to LSB.  This is really not a large effort for LFS as it
would probably be one new page introducing the issue plus some additional text
in appropriate places like paragraph 6.5.1 (FHS Compliance Note).

    4. 64-bit LFS

This is the other difficult area.  How should the topic be presented and
integrated into the book will require a fair amount of discussion.  Whether to
add multilib is also important as a pure 64-bit system has problems with some
packages.  I would propose a page with an introduction to 64-bit processing to
provide the user a basis for choosing the desired configuration.  Integrating
the instructions in a seamless manner will be difficult.

It would be my preference to have all the information on each page, possibly
with css styles to highlight the common, 32-bit specific, and 64-bit specific
instructions.

Adding this would affect the build instructions in Chapter 6, the boot scripts,
and probably several other places.

    5. Licensing and trademark

Changing the license only requires a couple of pages and can be done in a day by
one editor once consensus is reached.  Registering a trademark is a separate
issue independent of the book.

    6. Legal (not for profit) organization

Setting up a non-profit is also independent of the book.  One issue we may have
to address is getting a release from all the editors that have actually
committed to the book over the last nine years or so we can change the copyright
owner to the LFS Foundation (or whatever we decide to call it).

I have no preference where the organization is set up.  The candidates are
Canada and the United States.

   -- Bruce