LFS Roadmap (Was: Re: As promised: LFS compilation summary)

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Sat May 10 10:27:47 PDT 2008

On May 9, 2008, at 5:05 PM, Dan Nicholson wrote:

> I haven't piped in on this at all, but I'd just like to say that I
> really, really want to be pro-grub2. I periodically peruse the
> grub-devel archives hoping to see that a 2.0 release is imminent. I
> find it ridiculous that there's no currently supported grub. But,
> anyway, I'm still x86 all the time, so grub-0.9.7 is good enough for
> me. I'll be curious how this plays out, though.

It gets a little annoying on pure-64 systems, as you can't build it.
Or at least I can't, and Gentoo seems to have given up too. If you
enable kernel support for 32-bit binaries you can still run it, but
you must build it someplace else. However even with that annoyance it
is still my preference on x86 systems -- I feel the flexibility it
offers to let me change my (often mistyped) boot options and paths if
worth the hassle, and I have not been impressed by the flexibility of
alternatives. I can appreciate the robustness of solutions that do not
support file-system access, but I'm willing to give that up for the
ability to never need a rescue disk just to fix a typo in my kernel
path, or the ability to load a kernel off a CD and then boot from a
runtime-selected root partition (you don't want to know why that's
useful to me).

But as others have mentioned, I think Grub2 development only an SMTP
client away from being done. As much as I'd like it to get there, I'm
not sure it will be what I want when it does.

	Zach