LFS Roadmap (Was: Re: As promised: LFS compilation summary)

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu May 8 15:35:51 PDT 2008

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> In any case, I don't see a reason that there won't be a LFS 6.4 or 7.0 release
> sometime this summer.

At the current rate, if we do LFS 7.0 this summer it would have to be
sans package manager.

However, x86_64 support (and PowerPC, for that matter) is pretty much
ready to drop in. The only thing missing is the change of boot loader
section and adjustments to the kernel page. It's really just a matter of
forcing myself to sit down and do it. I've been getting side tracked by
a lot of other things.

To be current, I'd also like to see the Udev blocker sorted out before
we release 7.0. See: http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/ticket/2057 It
basically comes down to finding a solution to properly setting up
persistent udev rules for NICs while in chroot. Recent versions of udev
have changed their configuration such that our current method won't work.

As to package management and other suggestions for changes for LFS in
general, I'm currently polishing up some ideas and concepts.

--
JH