LFS - DESTDIR Style

taipan sysadm.taipan67 at btinternet.com
Mon Mar 31 09:24:30 PDT 2008

taipan wrote:
> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> The implication of going to DESTDIR for LFS would imply doing the same
>> for BLFS.  Some of the BLFS packages are not DESTDIR friendly.  I can't
>> remember which ones off the top of my head, but I do recall some that
>> ignore DESTDIR, at least partially.
>>
>>    -- Bruce
>
> Openssl springs instantly to mind. If i recall correctly, i also had
> difficulties with shadow in LFS itself (sorry, it's been a while)...
>
> taipan

 From a Gentoo-ebuild for shadow, it looks like it honours DESTDIR, &
that my difficulties were permissions-related due to my use of the
pkgusr-method.

It still has me wondering if this proposed branch would require or
benefit from the inclusion of the 'fakeroot' package, as used by
diy-linux? I've never built either, & am uncertain of it's precise
function - so this is pure speculation on my part...

taipan