6.7.2. possible minor omission

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 11:52:18 PST 2008

On Jan 22, 2008 11:29 AM, Matthew Burgess <matthew at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 12:21:22 -0600, Clyde Forrester <ccf3 at mindspring.com> wrote:
> > I'm using the Live 6.3
> > At 6.7.2. I noticed that the 'video' headers were included, but not
> > mentioned.
>
> Thanks for the report, Clyde.  I notice that on my kernel, 2.6.23.14, only sisfb.h gets installed there.  As such, I wonder whether the installation of that header is actually a bug.  I know Dan and Bryan have some experience with the kernel and its headers.  Maybe they can shed some light, or get hold of an opinion from upstream?

That's probably a gross overstatement of my experience with the kernel
headers :)

I believe sisfb.h is proper public API. I don't know who uses it
(DirectFB shows up on Google code search), but that's been exported
from the kernel pretty much since David Woodhouse added the
headers_install stuff.

Additionally, it appears 2.6.24 will have two more headers in there,
uvesa.h and edid.h. So, I'd suspect the video/ headers are proper API
for Linux and don't conflict with anything else, like glibc.

--
Dan