Glibc-2.7: awk should be gawk, not mawk

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 10:57:58 PST 2008

On Jan 14, 2008 10:25 PM, Richard Gill <richard at houbathecat.info> wrote:
> 2008/1/15, Petr Ovtchenkov <ptr at island.corbina.net>:
> >
> > Yes, I see. My problem was: Kubuntu has both gawk and mawk, and awk -> mawk.
> > So test should check as 'gawk' as 'awk'.
>
> For me, it's more a glibc problem, as its configure scripts/Makefiles
> should mention gawk explicitly, since they use a gawk specific syntax
> for commands, and should not rely on awk (references to this name
> should use POSIX compatible program arguments and scripts
> definitions).

The glibc configure script uses the macro AC_PROG_AWK. This looks for
gawk first in the path before falling back to mawk, nawk or awk. So,
while it's not enforced, if you follow the LFS host requirements, it
will work. As for using POSIX compatible awk, see this recent
"helpful" thread:

http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2007-12/msg00020.html

--
Dan