Stable LFS LiveCD 6.3-r2160 released

Thomas Reitelbach tr at erdfunkstelle.de
Fri Jan 4 12:13:01 PST 2008

On Montag, 31. Dezember 2007, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> 2007/12/31, Thomas Reitelbach <tr at erdfunkstelle.de>:
> > > However, translated books are not available in the XML format.
> >
> > At least the german one is.
>
> Sorry, indeed, I missed this
> (http://oss.erdfunkstelle.de/lfs-de/6.3/lfs-6.3-xml.tar.bz2). However,
> it is not compatible with jhalfs, so there is no automated way to
> validate the translation for absense of command differences as
> compared to the English version.

What would be the formal prerequesites to make translated XML-Files jhalfs
compatible? From another mail i read that my translated files indeed are
compatible, but how could someone check this?

> > I didn't check other translations but I wonder how others do the
> > translation, when there is no translated XML file?! Maybe they just don't
> > release the XML?
>
> AFAIK, they just translate HTML pages manually.

This would be really bad. Translations can be done very efficient by using
xml2pot and po2xml. Then the translator can use KBabel, Kaider or any other
translation tool to translate PO-files and keep a translation database, he
can diff old translations to new ones, use rough translations etc.

> > Or they are not using the xml2pot <-> po2xml toolchain, then we should
> > explain it to translators somewhere to acquire a more efficient
> > translation workflow.
>
> Yes, good idea.

Well, currently I'm really busy with KDE 4 translations, but when I have some
time I'll setup a little translation howto for LFS translators, which could
be uploaded to the website.

Cheers
Thomas