udev rules changes

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Sun Oct 28 19:57:47 PDT 2007

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> 1. There is a doc directory that explains each rule file.  Is there a
> reason that we can't just incorporate these .txt files as comments in
> the rules files themselves?

The comments that cover our rules, we probably could.  That wouldn't
work for the Makefile's install-extra-doc targets though (since those
try to document rules that come with udev).

Also, I believe part of the purpose of these files was to give a user
more of an overall picture (for instance, rather than explaining every
rule, the former 25-lfs.txt (now 51-lfs.txt) file just explains each
type of key used, and covers a few of the more complicated structures in
the file).  The idea was that this documentation would be a complement
to writing_udev_rules.html.

If that's still important (and I should look at the files again to make
sure they still make sense with the deleted rules: I didn't read through
all of them), I think having them in a separate set of files is helpful.

> 2. I would be in favor of changing the dialout group to tty which
> would allow us to drop several rules.

tty or uucp?  The udev rules use uucp; if they used tty, I could likely
have left them alone.

If we want to add a new uucp group, we can kill 5-6 of the override
rules, sure.  :-)

> 3. I think the 51- rules should be renamed to 55- to allow users to
> place their own rules between the udev default and ours without
> modifying either.

I don't have any real objection to that, but is there any case where a
user would need to use those numbers?

If they want to override something that's in both 50- and our file (i.e.
we've already overridden it once), then whether our file is at 51- or
55- doesn't matter; they'll have to be after ours.  If they want to
override something that's in 50- but not our file, then it also doesn't
matter whether we're at 51- or 55-: they can use any number after 50.
And if they want to override a setting in our file that's not in 50-,
then they'll still have to be after our file (whether we're at 51- or 55-).

I can't come up with a reason that they'd have to add anything between
the files, basically.  Of course I may be missing something.  :-)

> 4. It states in the book that continuation of rules are not allowed
> with a backslash-newline combination.  In udev-116's
> udev_rules_parse.c, it looks like backslashes are recognized.  The
> function is parse_file and starts at line 657 of the file.  Checking
> git, it appears that this has been available since 20 Dec 2004:
>
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/hotplug/udev.git;a=commit;h=9f8dfa19cfd2b502bf794f39a421cbb7c4cc0404
>
> This was released in udev-051.

Oh really.  I think that text has been in the book for a fairly long
time (though perhaps not in the place it is now), but it's entirely
possible that it's out of date with current udev.  I'd agree that
current udev_rules_parse.c looks like it'll handle continuation
characters just fine; let me test it a second...

Yeah, udev-110 works with backslash-newline continuation, so the book
should be changed (assuming -116 works as well, but I don't think they'd
remove that).  :-)

> If continuation lines are indeed allowed, I think we can make our
> rules with long lines look better with this feature.  We would also
> need to change the book.

Yes, I'd agree.  I may be able to look into it tomorrow, but if you
already have a patch put together for these, don't wait for me.  ;-)