LFS LiveCD 6.3-r2130 available for download
Alexander E. Patrakov
patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Mon Oct 22 08:58:10 PDT 2007
A new testing release of LFS LiveCD, r2130, is available for download
for x86 and x86_64 architectures. It is based on LFS-6.3. This release
contains mostly minor bugfixes. If a previous release works for you,
there is no need to update, but testing is always welcome. Please mail
reports (not only bug reports) to the livecd mailing list.
For each architecture, "r2130" (full), "r2130-nosrc" and "r2130-min"
images are available. The -nosrc CD does not contain LFS source
tarballs, but is otherwise identical to the full release. The -min CD
does not contain X window system and source tarballs.
The ISO images should also appear on other mirrors shortly.
As compared to the previous testing snapshot (r2052 for x86 and r2014
for x86_64), the following changes have been made:
* The CD now recognizes the hda=remap63 option on non-PCI PnP IDE
interfaces (the "load=ide-generic" option is still needed for non-PCI
IDE controllers, though).
* Fixed the issue that manifests itself as "invalid ioctl for device"
messages from brltty. This was caused by a missing feature in GPM.
* Lynx now uses vim as an editor when editing contents of web forms.
This is required because the internal editor does not support UTF-8.
* Fixed the default path to LFS XML book in jhalfs.
* Fixed permissions for non-standard floppy devices (but the stock LFS
still contains a bug).
* Worked around the "hardware-assisted scanning doesn't work" bug in
the iwlwifi driver.
* Disabled autoloading of the obsolete eepro100 network driver.
* Enabled the same subset of netfilter modules on x86 and x86_64.
* Disabled autoloading of the "generic" and "ata-generic" modules. Now
they are loaded only if the "all_generic_ide" option appears on the
* Removed attempts to retry to find the CD. Now the "rootdelay=20" boot
option is mandatory when booting from USB CD-ROM drives.
* "Fixed" (by compiling with -O0) inability of xfmedia to play video
files on x86_64.
* Fixed the default screen font selection in UTF-8 locales. Now the
default font contains the Euro character, if possible.
* Fixed parsing of the "rootflags" boot option (relevant when booting
from an ISO image without burning it).
* Added support for parallel ports and IOMEGA zip drives.
* The "kpartx" program is included that allows an alternative approach
for the required partition mapping. This is the only way to use drives
with OnTrack disk manager together with libata-based drivers.
* Added text-to-speech support in the form of speakup and espeak.
Please read the README.html file before using this feature, because the
included development version of speakup has user-visible differences
from the stable one.
* Added udev rule for autoloading drivers for PnP devices.
* The 64-bit modules are now split from 32-bit ones into a separate
initramfs image. This invalidates the remastering HOWTO as published by
the Hints project, but allows the CD to boot again on machines with 32
MB of RAM.
* Now you can specify arbitrary modules, not just modules present in
the initramfs, to be loaded during boot with the "load=..." boot option.
* French manual pages (man-fr -> man-pages-fr upstream rename)
* xine-lib (the new version fixes an important bug with sound quality,
* Replaced madwifi with the free "ath5k" driver that should be loaded
automatically by udev. Reports are welcome whether the new driver works.
* Removed kernel boot messages by default, because they often appear
over configuration dialogs. To see the messages on the new CD, type
"linux debug" at the boot prompt.
* Redesigned boot help screens.
* Shortened the default bash prompt.
* Added a README.html file to the root directory of the ISO. Read it
before booting. It contains important information about this CD. Some of
this information (e.g., boot options related to the development version
of speakup) is not available from other sources for people with visual
* Copying and pasting with speakup inserts garbage characters and can
crash the computer. Please use "screen" for copying and pasting instead.
If this bug is critical enough so that one cannot build LFS, speakup
will be replaced with yasr in the future LiveCD releases.
* Brltty is compiled with speech support, but is not configured to use
* There is no accessible console newsreader.
* The rtl8187 wireless driver does not work (if it does work for you,
* BLFS package versions are old, there are many security issues.
* The project is severely undermanned. Almost 250 packages are
maintained by only two developers. Help is needed.
Alexander E. Patrakov
More information about the lfs-dev