[LFS Trac] #2094: Add a new section for build results

Jim Gifford lfs at jg555.com
Sun Oct 21 11:52:54 PDT 2007

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> Jim Gifford wrote:
>
>> Alex, I've been trying to search for this thread, but don't seem to find
>> it anywhere on the lfs-dev list, could you provide a link to it.
>>

> The issue report is here:
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-dev/2007-August/059894.html
>
> The suggestion (approved by Greg Schafer) is here:
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-dev/2007-August/059926.html
>
> The diagnosis of the original issues is here:
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-dev/2007-August/060020.html
> and
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-dev/2007-September/060249.html

These issues only arise if your building via a LFS style build aka
chroot build method. So in my opinion this is a non issue, your doing
something that will be a workaround and that's it. We have looked into
doing this, but there are to many variables to take in account to get it
working properly.
>> As far as CLFS not taken advantage of the existing toolchain, we build
>> our own instead of depending on the host distros, this gives you a
>> controlled environment to work with. We have people every day who submit
>> ideas or possible changes via our support lists or IRC. We don't expect
>> everyone to be able to edit the XML, but if they make valid and proven
>> remarks we will make the necessary changes to the book.
>>

> Indeed, you don't depend on their gcc, binutils and glibc (i.e.,
> programs that you build as /cross-tools - and only that). But CLFS
> depends on their "makeinfo", "bison" and similar utilities, unlike LFS,
> because LFS can execute just-built versions of them.

And the issue with is??

>> As far as the XML goes, if you have ideas, pass them on and Manuel can
>> validate your findings.
>>

> Sorry, I am not an expert in XML. The problem for me was (several years
> ago) the XInclude statements that refer to something obscure such as
> "third paragraph in common XML sources" that may drift if a common patch
> is added or if a paragraph is split into two for clarity. If possible,
> reference the needed text to include by its label. I am not sure,
> however, if this issue is still relevant, because I have no idea how the
> modern XML source looks like.

Neither am I, that's why we have people like Manuel involved with these
projects to guide us. The XML once you understand the structure of it is
very simple.