[LFS Trac] #2094: Add a new section for build results

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Sun Oct 21 02:52:23 PDT 2007

Jim Gifford wrote:
> Alex, I've been trying to search for this thread, but don't seem to find
> it anywhere on the lfs-dev list, could you provide a link to it.

The issue report is here:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-dev/2007-August/059894.html

The suggestion (approved by Greg Schafer) is here:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-dev/2007-August/059926.html

The diagnosis of the original issues is here:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-dev/2007-August/060020.html
and
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-dev/2007-September/060249.html

> As far as CLFS not taken advantage of the existing toolchain, we build
> our own instead of depending on the host distros, this gives you a
> controlled environment to work with. We have people every day who submit
> ideas or possible changes via our support lists or IRC. We don't expect
> everyone to be able to edit the XML, but if they make valid and proven
> remarks we will make the necessary changes to the book.

Indeed, you don't depend on their gcc, binutils and glibc (i.e.,
programs that you build as /cross-tools - and only that). But CLFS
depends on their "makeinfo", "bison" and similar utilities, unlike LFS,
because LFS can execute just-built versions of them.

> As far as the XML goes, if you have ideas, pass them on and Manuel can
> validate your findings.

Sorry, I am not an expert in XML. The problem for me was (several years
ago) the XInclude statements that refer to something obscure such as
"third paragraph in common XML sources" that may drift if a common patch
is added or if a paragraph is split into two for clarity. If possible,
reference the needed text to include by its label. I am not sure,
however, if this issue is still relevant, because I have no idea how the
modern XML source looks like.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov