sparc64 built from jh branch

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Oct 15 15:56:06 PDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 08:53:35PM +0200, Thomas Trepl wrote:
> On Friday 12 October 2007 20:43, Ivan Kabaivanov wrote:
> > Just a few comments.  I prefer to build a 32bit userland and 64bit kernel.
> > This has been the advice of the ultrasparc gurus for a long time and as
> > recently as a few months ago there was a discussion either on debian-sparc
> > or gentoo-sparc that reiterated this original point.  I didn't have to
> > modify the LFS instructions *at all* except to add two or three extra
> > packages needed by sparcs.
[...]
> This and the four pkgs mentioned in the clfs-project for the PPC we have 6
> additional packages which is an increase of round about 10% but on the other
> side the field where LFS than is documented and maintaned grows from x86 only
> to x86, x86_64, sparc, sparc64, ppc, and maybe ppc64.
 For ppc64, *either* multilib (which should stay in clfs IMHO -
among other things it makes the build instructions for the desktop a
lot more complex) _or_ 32-bit userspace with 64-bit kernel are
*required* (can't build the mac bootloader requirements as 64-bit,
can't run a 32-bit kernel).  And yes, 32-bit userspace is recommended
by most of the gurus, although multilib works ok with gcc-4.1 (if you
can call firefox disappearing up its own rear end if you breathe
loudly 'ok' :-)

 But, there is a distinct lack of testers with ppc64 (everywhere).

ĸen