sparc64 built from jh branch

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Oct 12 16:28:11 PDT 2007

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> Right. I was thinking something a little more formalized. The jh
> branch is where some experiments, including multiple arch support,
> have been going on. I was thinking that once multiple arches hits
> trunk, there could be a branch that's specifically for handling other
> arches. I.e., the differences from trunk are only what would be needed
> for this arch or that arch. The jh branch could go on experimenting
> with other things that seem interesting. Unless the jh branch is
> really an alias for multiple arches. In which case, carry on.

The branch was intended as a playground for several things I wanted to
test, which is why I changed it from just x86_64 to jh. So it's not just
about other architectures. There are some other key changes I've made
there that haven't found their way to trunk yet. Like the
--disable-shared for GCC pass 1, the move of the bootstrap to pass 2,
the textual changes, the upcoming 'choose a bootloader' type section.

I'm happy to continue using it as such and continuing to work there, but
the idea of creating a branch for each arch before merging to trunk has
some merit, too.

--
JH