LFS and 64-bit hosts

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Oct 9 07:06:14 PDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 05:25:23PM -0600, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> I have the hardware. At least for now, my job provides plenty of access
> to the latest Intel Apple machines. In fact most of my recent work has
> been done on Apple hardware. The bootloader is indeed different, but
> there's a gret piece of software called refit that can be used instead
> of the default Apple bootloader. It can then, in turn, boot lilo or grub
> from a partition.

Just wanted to clarify a few things here. I haven't really tested it,
but I believe that the default Apple bootloader can indeed pass control
over to Grub or Lilo on a secondary partition. It can handle Windows,
(all it really does is boot from a 'legacy' BIOS type partition with
whatever bootloader is installed on that partition) so I'm guessing it
wouldn't fail on Grub or Lilo either.

The nice thing about refit is that it boots into a a nice graphical menu
by default and lets you choose which OS you want to boot. With apple's
bootloader, the machine will boot into whichever partition you've
'blessed' (or made the default) in OS X, but if you hold down the option
key at startup, you'll get a menu of available OSes.

Refit also comes with a nice synchronization tool which auto synchs the
GPT partition table OS X uses with the MBR table that Windows and
bootloaders like lilo and grub expect. The only real pain with using the
apple machines is that it cannot boot 'legacy OSes' (ones that need to
boot with a MBR bootloader) off of external media, like a USB drive.

--
JH