-mtune for Glibc

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Oct 5 16:25:54 PDT 2007

On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 10:19:42AM -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> Reading Greg's post again, if -mtune=generic is the default on
> gcc-4.2, then I think that's what we should restore. Then the
> explanation makes more sense: "-mtune=generic restores the default GCC
> settings from those implied by the -march parameter." Eh, that stills
> sounds like gibberish.

Dan, I went to correct some syntax errors in the jh branch and realized
that Bruce had actually added '-mtune=native' to the explanatory text. I
had thought that he was going to add '-mtune=generic' based on the
above.

After thinking about it, in part based on your comments, I think that
'-mtune=native' would be better if we were encouraging users to
optimize. Then they could use that among other optimizations scattered
throughout the build. Restoring default settings seems safer and more in
line with the book's intent. Can you provide me with a more solid
explanation of why we're using generic and I'll drop that into the
branch? We'll also want to update trunk since, as Greg pointed out, it's
currently tuned for i486.

--
JH