-mtune for Glibc

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 10:08:38 PDT 2007

On 10/5/07, Jeremy Huntwork <jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> We never really decided on what to do for -mtune on Glibc. See the end of
> Greg's post here:
> http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-dev/2007-September/060338.html
>
> And again his comments here:
> http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-dev/2007-September/060338.html
>
> My opinion is that we'd want to use -mtune=native, but I'd like to hear some
> feedback from the rest of you.

I think adding -mtune=native will be fine so long as there are no test
regressions. Otherwise, Greg's suggestion of -mtune=generic seems very
safe. Like Bruce said, I think it needs to be made clear that these
additions for glibc are only to clear the i386 hurdle and restore a
sane level of CPU tuning. They aren't just random optimizations. I
don't think the Ch. 6 Intro needs to be changed as long as the glibc
page is clear.

--
Dan