One more addition to dependencies list

Chris Staub chris at beaker67.com
Wed Oct 3 18:41:43 PDT 2007

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 03:47:29PM -0400, Chris Staub wrote:
>> Here's one I missed before: apparently gzip uses gzip (the system's
>> gzip, not its own just-built binary) in its testsuite. It uses the gzip
>> prog in the PATH to compress a file, then runs tests with zdiff in its
>> source dir. It doesn't seem to make sense to use an external prog
>> instead of its own newly-built binaries for a testsuite, so I'm not sure
>> if this is intentional or a bug in gzip's testsuite.
>
> It doesn't try to adjust PATH anywhere?
>
> --
> JH

Not as far as I can tell, but then I don't really know much about
Makefiles. The "check" target apparently runs "check-local", and the
second thing that runs is "gzip.doc.gz". All that has is...

gzip.doc.gz: gzip.doc
         gzip <$? >$@

Everywhere else when it needs to use a program in the sourcedir, it just
uses the pathname..."./zdiff", "./zgrep", etc...and at the end of the
testsuite it does also use "./gzip".