FAQ bit rot (was: LFS natively on Reiser4)

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Wed Jan 31 06:46:43 PST 2007

Luca wrote:

> In Faq, point General compilation errors there's a "Glibc compilation
> errors out due to a missing nss.h header file".
> Following the link points to:
>
> Glibc compilation errors out due to a missing nss.h header file
>
>     This usually indicates that you are compiling LFS onto a Reiser4
> partition. Unfortunately, there is currently no known solution, other
> than to use a different type of filesystem.

Just in order to test this, I created a VMware virtual machine (based on LFS
LiveCD 6.2-5) on ums.usu.ru. The virtual disk is formatted as reiser4. Let
jhalfs run for the night, and tomorrow I'll see if this FAQ item is valid.

OTOH,

1) the NASM requirement for LILO (mentioned in the FAQ) is no longer valid.
2) The locale example in the "Why does less (and therefore man) print <AD>
instead of hyphens?" item is horribly wrong.
3) "Glibc fails and mentions BEGIN and END" mentions static linking, which
applies to the old book only, and only confuses the reader who doesn't know
all the LFS history.
4) "... it is normal to compile GNU libc with the `linuxthreads' add-on..."
- again, old book.

So there is enough bit rot :(

> Actually this answer is not fully correct. It's possible to compile LFS
> natively on a Reiser4 partition at some extra costs:
>
> Host system should support Reiser4 file-system (latest official patch
> for Reiser4 is for linux kernel 2.6.18.3, in case booting with grub of
> host-system, libaal, reiser4progs and libreiser4 must be installed, grub
> must be re-installed after patching it to support Reiser4 (patch found
> at official NAMESYS site), reiser4progs needed, if a Reiser4 partition
> was created with mkfs.reiser4 version < 1.0.0, must be run
> debugfs.reiser4 -C device, fsck.reiser4 device.

Let's hope that the only incorrect bit above is that the reiser4 patch
works. The fact is that it causes unacceptable regression for all other
filesystems (that's why I had to release LFS LiveCD 6.2-5). The "fix" is to
set CFLAGS to "-O0" or "-O1" while compiling GRUB.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov