Move GPM into LFS?

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Fri Jan 26 21:09:08 PST 2007

Bernd Pol wrote:
> I found it invaluable to have full mouse support in the Linux console,
> Unfortunately ncurses and vim have to be recompiled when you install GPM
> only late from the BLFS book.
>
> This problem is mentioned in the BLFS wiki as well
> (http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/wiki/GPM) along with an imho
> rather critical patch.
>
> As recompiling ncurses is not a trivial task, why not move GPM over from
> BLFS?

This must be specified further. Options:

1) Make both GPM and NCurses aware of each other (this is what distros do).
This means compiling ncurses, compiling gpm with weak wgetch and signal
handling patches, and compiling ncurses again.

2) Make NCurses aware of GPM, but not the other way round (this is what the
LiveCD does). This means compiling unpatched gpm, and then ncurses.

3) Do nothing. In UTF-8 environments, GPM is next to useless and thus should
not be installed at all.

My vote is (3) plus the corresponding note in the BLFS book.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov