IRC

TheOldFellow theoldfellow at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 23:26:57 PST 2007

Declan Naughton wrote:
>> irc has not been installed on the new server yet.  Its another
>> opportunity for me to learn something new.  :(
>
> Why don't we just use Freenode? There is an established #lfs channel
> there. Do we really need to run our own IRC server?

Two reasons from me.

1) In days of yore, when LFS was in active development with tens of
editors and other interested parties, we needed about five channels to
sort out all the traffic.

2) Bruce needs the practise :-)

I'm not a great fan of IRC myself, everything decided there needs to be
documented in the mailing lists, but some of the the big steps forward
in LFS thinking happened first as conversations on IRC.  And LFS is
crawling along right now.

Still, that said  #lfs on freenode is up and running with 8 nicks
running as I write - not one of them that I recognise though ;-(

R.