Google AdSense

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Wed Apr 25 15:50:16 PDT 2007

Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> Besides the fact that ads are evil and all that, can anybody offer up
>  a good reason not to pursue this?

Not sure if this is a good reason, but do the pages stay valid XHTML
1.1?  We're currently serving them up as text/html (which is another
whole separate issue), with an XHTML 1.1 doctype.  If the ads break that
validation, then it may be an issue.  AFAIK, iframes aren't valid in
XHTML 1.1 (unless you can pull in the XHTML 1.1 iframe module somehow).

Also, the pages served up by adsense (at least in my experience) contain
invalid CSS.  (One case is an inline style attribute with a "display:
inline-block;" rule, which is of course invalid in anything other than
IE.  That same tag has a bunch of "filter" CSS properties set, to try to
get transparent PNGs to work in IE.  All of these show up as errors in
the JS console in FF.)  I realize adsense has to do this stuff to get
their ads to work right on the vast majority of machines, but I don't
have to like it.  ;-)  Probably not a showstopper though.