[RFC] Drop the Coreutils Uname patch

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Tue Apr 24 21:46:03 PDT 2007

Robert Connolly wrote:
> On Tuesday April 24 2007 02:50, Randy McMurchy wrote:
>> On the computer I'm typing this message on, 'uname -a' reports this:
>>
>> Linux rmlscsi 2.6.14.3 #1 PREEMPT Sat Mar 25 07:47:39 CST 2006 i686
>> pentium3 i386 GNU/Linux
>>
>> What would it report without the patch?
>
> The "pentium3" would become "unknown". The patch sets "uname -p".

You are technically incorrect.

An unpatched `uname -a' simply omits the -p and -i fields when they are
"unknown".

$ uname --help
Usage: uname [OPTION]...
Print certain system information.  With no OPTION, same as -s.

  -a, --all                print all information, in the following order,
                             except omit -p and -i if unknown:

Regards
Greg
--