Thoughts

Ag. D. Hatzimanikas a.hatzim at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 22:24:15 PDT 2007

On Mon, Apr 23, at 06:30 Luca2 wrote:

> From: "Robert Connolly" <robert at linuxfromscratch.org>
>
> > This is an optimization, and it should remain optional.
>
> I don't call it an optimization because it is going to become the
> standard way.

It is (now) actually the standard way, since it's in Ubuntu and
fedora if I am not mistaken.
So what lefts? Suse/Novell.

<rant>
Welcome to the new brave LInux world,
where everyone goes to its own route,
where everyone wants to leads,
where everyone make fundamental changes in the Linux toolchain, without
even keeping in sync with each other,
where every one is free to break existing compatibility which anyway, it
doesn't exists or hold much -anyway not much longer than, let's say 2 Ubuntu/fedore
releases.

And that mess, they call it innovation.
</rant>

I am really sorry about that rant, and I really hope to be mistaken and only
a personal impression and nothing more.

But I don't get it, why these boys (Ubuntu/RedHat/Novell) they don't
play well with the rest of the Linux community, and who is in charge anyway and
where they will take us?

I don't like when big corporations getting involved and decides about the future in
the FOSS community.

Q.
Why they don't let or give the power to a third (neutral) party organization for
the maintenance of the Linux toolchain?

Why not in LFS? We are accepting patches as far I know.

Once more I ask sorry for the rant.