Thoughts

Luca2 liliana.perossa at fastwebnet.it
Sun Apr 22 21:30:32 PDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Connolly" <robert at linuxfromscratch.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2007 6:39 PM
Subject: Re: Thoughts

> Every package builds and runs perfectly fine without this option. This
> option
> is known to not work with a handfull of packages (dietlibc, padico,
> wine,
> nvidia glx, probably more). Building a program with this option will
> mean the
> program will not run on older Glibc versions.

> This is an optimization, and it should remain optional.

Hi Robert.

I compiled succesfully all LFS/BLFS plus all additional/optional
dependencies troubless using the new-hash style and gcc-4.3.0-svn.
About NVIDIA Glx: I have a NVIDIA video card so I downloaded their
latest beta package, chose to extract only, modified paths to use
/usr/X11R7 hierarchy and built the module manually and it compiled
succesfully and works; I had only a problem months ago with a beta
version which didn't compile using gcc-4.1.1.
About Wine: I compiled succesfully latest version using hash style.
Surely programs will not run on older Glibc versions but at the same
time there some updated packages breaking compatibily with older
versions.

I don't call it an optimization because it is going to become the
standard way.

Anyway thanks for the answer.

Luca