[RFC] Drop the Coreutils Uname patch

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Apr 20 14:55:29 PDT 2007

Hi,

http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/ticket/1990 proposes to have LFS use the
same uname patch for Coreutils that HLFS uses.  Note also that CLFS uses
another version of the uname code that adds outputs for more architectures
still.

Given that all 3 books use different patches, it serves a purely cosmetic
purpose (as far as I know), and upstream will not entertain the patch at all
in its current form, I'd like to drop it.  As the ticket mentions, the
correct way to implement this, according to upstream, is to have the kernel
make the processor type available via a syscall.

Thoughts, comments?

Regards,

Matt.