Thoughts

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Apr 20 12:29:53 PDT 2007

On Friday 20 April 2007 17:26, Dan Nicholson wrote:

> I think --hash-style=gnu is a great innovation and plan to build some
> systems that way. But LFS has never done anything more than just take
> the defaults that the toolchain gives it. Why not enforce --as-needed,
> too? Or default CFLAGS to -march=whatever?
>
> I'd be open to the idea, but I don't know how likely it is to become
> the default in the book unless it comes that way out of the box.

LFS has always assumed, pretty safely I might add, that upstream developers
know what optimizations or package-specific options are safe/suitable for the
majority of users.  This is particularly the case with the toolchain.  I
personally wouldn't be comfortable with this going into LFS until upstream
think that it's the right thing to have on by default.  At the moment, it
doesn't even appear to be in binutils-2.17 (not in --help output or ld(1) or
in the output of a recursive grep).  Maybe it's just in HJL's binutils?

Regards,

Matt.