Thoughts

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 09:26:23 PDT 2007

On 4/20/07, Luca2 <liliana.perossa at fastwebnet.it> wrote:

> The so called "new hosts", let's say Fedora Core 6 (now old, there's
> Fedora 7 coming), OpenSUSE 10.2 (now there's 10.3 alpha 3) and others
> all use the new GNU HASH style definition (anyway it can use even the
> old definition by passing "hash-style=sysv").
> I've built myself several LFSs using this feature and had ran into no
> troubles, still the answer is always the same when people have troubles
> with "ld" (because of unsupported feature): use older host etc...

This issue should be fixed now by making the host's gcc use the host's
ld until we get through -pass1.

> My idea is wouldn't be the time, now, to incorporate this feature
> (linking times reduced by 50% as example) and let it become the "new"
> standard way of building LFS systems?

I think --hash-style=gnu is a great innovation and plan to build some
systems that way. But LFS has never done anything more than just take
the defaults that the toolchain gives it. Why not enforce --as-needed,
too? Or default CFLAGS to -march=whatever?

I'd be open to the idea, but I don't know how likely it is to become
the default in the book unless it comes that way out of the box.

--
Dan