Thoughts

Luca2 liliana.perossa at fastwebnet.it
Fri Apr 20 01:53:05 PDT 2007

Hello.

I have some thoughts I would like to share, all related to new features.

The so called "new hosts", let's say Fedora Core 6 (now old, there's
Fedora 7 coming), OpenSUSE 10.2 (now there's 10.3 alpha 3) and others
all use the new GNU HASH style definition (anyway it can use even the
old definition by passing "hash-style=sysv").
I've built myself several LFSs using this feature and had ran into no
troubles, still the answer is always the same when people have troubles
with "ld" (because of unsupported feature): use older host etc...

My idea is wouldn't be the time, now, to incorporate this feature
(linking times reduced by 50% as example) and let it become the "new"
standard way of building LFS systems?

Anyway it's not an additional feature but a bare system feature.

I mean that steps towards feature can and, imho, must be done because of
innovations (like newer file-systems).

Best wishes,
L.