Set the console kernel logging level

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Apr 17 14:36:17 PDT 2007

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> Dan Nicholson wrote:
>
>> On 4/16/07, DJ Lucas <dj at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>>
>>> This is where the sysctl script should be run. /proc and /sys should be available by that time.  It was moved a long time ago, memory is fuzzy but I think it was due to a timing issue.  Anyway, it is designed explicitly for this purpose.
>>>
>> I did not know that. The only problem with the sysctl script is that I
>> don't think most people know how to use sysctl. This is a viable solution under one condition: sysctl needs to be documented in the
>> book. The convenience of a wrapper script is that you can abstract the
>> details.

Yes, most use 'echo "value" > /file' if needed, and it does work well.
The nice part about sysctl is that they are all done 1 time from one
config file, but Alexander's assessment (below) throws that one out the
window.  Also the 'quiet' kernel param seems the best solution for this
particular annoyance, I'm assuming that the result is a 3 or 4 in the
log level.  I'd really like to see that nice, clean boot screen on first
boot, it gives it kind of a finished feel to the system.  I'd still like
to see sysctl mentioned someplace, and IIRC it's already in BLFS for the
RTC max freq.  Also, as Dan mentioned before, a bootscritpt can be
viewed by the user and is great when you ask "hows that work?", but is
also one more numbered symlink to juggle, but *someday* that will not be
an issue.
> The problem is that some sysctls (e.g., the one for the maximum allowed RTC
> frequency settable by user) apply only after the corresponding modules are
> loaded. This usually means "after udev". But most of the kernel messages are printed while the udev bootscript works. Thus, -1 to the idea of reusing the existing sysctl script, +1 for the separate script that should run before udev.

Ahh, yes thank you for explaining the move.  That also explains why I've
never had a problem with it.  I build very few modules.
> But personally, I always just append the "quiet" parameter to the kernel
> line in the boot loader
"quiet" is nice to know too.  I'll borrow that one when I can LFS again.

Thanks.

-- DJ Lucas