[RFC] Bootscript changes

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Wed Apr 11 05:37:54 PDT 2007

I wrote:
> Dan Nicholson wrote:
>> http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/changeset?format=diff&new=7962&old=7931&new_path=trunk%2Fbootscripts%2Flfs&old_path=trunk%2Fbootscripts%2Flfs
>>
>> Can you check if these are the same issue?
>
> I will do this tomorrow, thanks for the link.

The patch above doesn't help with today's SVN. Full testcase:

1) Install VMware Server, make two virtual machines (Client and Server) that
boot from the LiveCD and have their network cards on the same private
network (e.g. /dev/vmnet2)
2) Boot the Server, remove the "login" line from
/etc/ppp/pppoe-server-options, uncomment the example "jdoe" user from
/etc/ppp/pap-secrets.
3) On the Server,

modprobe pppoe
pppoe-server -L 10.0.0.1 -R 10.0.0.2

4) Boot the Client, run net-setup, configure pppoe for eth0 with the "jdoe"
user and "guessit" password. Note that the LiveCD doesn't use the stock BLFS
script for pppoe, see
http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/livecd/browser/trunk/packages/blfs-bootscripts/blfs-bootscripts-newpppoe-1.patch

5) On the Client, run this stupid command (it spawns two pppds that try to
talk to each other, just to make sure that there is a pppd not belonging to
the pppoe connection):

pppd noauth pty 'pppd noauth notty' nodetach debug 10.0.1.1:10.0.1.2

6) On the Client, /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifdown eth0

This should (and does) kill only the pppd that is responsible for the pppoe
connection, and should (but doesn't without the patch) print a green [OK] in
the top line of the output. My earlier comment about hibernation is wrong.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov