Fighting spam via greylisting

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 13:06:37 PDT 2007

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Jeremy Huntwork wrote these words on 04/08/07 12:47 CST:
>
>> Anyway, the fact that we are having this conversation and that mailman
>> is processing fewer junk emails shows that it is working as we hoped.
>
> But it appears that mails are taking 30 minutes or more to be
> delivered, even for whitelisted addresses, and it used to take
> about 30 seconds.
>
> Is this due to the changes, or something else going on with Quantum?

I'm not sure.  When I look at the log, I see:

Apr  8 09:58:29 quantum postgrey[8131]: delayed 768 seconds:
client=mail.bethelcolleg
e.edu, from=security at paypal.com, to=randy at linuxfromscratch.org

but I don't think you really want to receive that one.  :)

I also see

Apr  7 23:51:26 quantum postgrey[8131]: delayed 7717 seconds:
client=qsrv02sl.mx.bigpond.com, from=noreply at linuxfromscratch.org,
to=randy at linuxfromscratch.org

Which doesn't look right either.

I don't see anything *from* you that has been delayed, but it would be
easy to miss something.

I'll continue to investigate.

  -- Bruce