dummy user for testsuites

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 15:42:29 PDT 2007

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Currently in chapter 6 coreutils we have instructions to append a dummy
> user to the /etc/{group,passwd} files so that we can run its test suite
> properly. The test suite for bash also calls for an unprivileged user.
> See: http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/ticket/1877
>
> Does anyone see a problem with adding that dummy user/group to the
> original /etc/{passwd,group} files, perhaps with a note explaining its
> purpose? At the end of chapter 6 we would remove the user and group.
>
> I'd like to get opinions before I work on the above ticket.

Personally, I think adding/deleting the temp users should be
encapsulated in the specific pages that need them.  That was someone
wants to update or evaluate a specific package on a working systems,
they have all the instructions in one place.

After all a cat and a sed to add and delete the users should not be that
big a deal.

  -- Bruce