Minor Typos for cat and EOF

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Sep 21 12:00:01 PDT 2006

On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 07:33:16PM +0100, Matthew Burgess wrote:

> Sorry about that complete and utter lie above.  It's the other way
> around, of course.  If EOF is unquoted, shell expansion occurs within
> the here-document.  Additionally, as bash(1) states, newline handling
> differs between the quoted and unquoted cases, so the quotes are
> required in the case of our udev rules.

Matt,

 I totally fail to understand that last statement.

 I've just used the example 82-cdrom.rules text (so, a different
filename on the first line, then copy-and-paste for the content),
with an unquoted EOF to finish.  On the screen, we have backslashes
to break the text up, in the rule we have a single line per rule,
just like every other udev rule I've ever seen.

 Or are you saying that putting a backslash into a rule and
continuing it across a second line actually works ?

Ken