Minor Typos for cat and EOF

Peter peterennis at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 21 11:56:27 PDT 2006

Matthew Burgess <matthew <at> linuxfromscratch.org> writes:

> Sorry about that complete and utter lie above.  It's the other way
> around, of course.  If EOF is unquoted, shell expansion occurs within
> the here-document.  Additionally, as bash(1) states, newline handling
> differs between the quoted and unquoted cases, so the quotes are
> required in the case of our udev rules.
>
> Regards,
>
> Matt.

So, 3 editors have 3 different opinions.

Ken: Editing a space is a waste of editor's time
-> implies consistency is not so important
Matthew: Newline handling indicates quotes are required
Manuel: Quotes are not required due to split line command

There is a note in 7.12 and 7.13

Note
Although the examples in this book work properly, be aware that udev does not
recognize the backslash for line continuation. If modifying udev rules with an
editor, be sure to leave each rule on one physical line.

Perhaps this could do with some improvement if there is
a relation between the line continuation and EOF
quoted or not.

Thanks,

Peter