Minor Typos for cat and EOF

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Sep 21 11:33:16 PDT 2006

Matthew Burgess wrote:
> Peter wrote:
>
>> ISTR also some failure that was reported on
>> support due to EOF not being quoted.
>
> The only failure you'll get by not quoting EOF is if the contents of the
> here-document contain shell variables that you want to have expanded.
> I'd agree that consistency would be nice to have, and to that end, I'll
> fix the book up to only use quotes if they're required.

Sorry about that complete and utter lie above.  It's the other way
around, of course.  If EOF is unquoted, shell expansion occurs within
the here-document.  Additionally, as bash(1) states, newline handling
differs between the quoted and unquoted cases, so the quotes are
required in the case of our udev rules.

Regards,

Matt.