udev-100 [was: Glibc-2.4]

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Sep 18 23:25:26 PDT 2006

Bryan Kadzban wrote:
> Matthew Burgess wrote:
>> The only thing that confused me was if and when we need to use the
>> plural form of the key names.
>
> We need to use the plural form whenever we want udev to search up the
> device tree to make a match.  If (for instance) we're only interested in
> the subsystem value for the device udev is looking at, we can use
> SUBSYSTEM="xyz".  But if we want to match all devices hooked up to a PCI
> bus, directly or indirectly, we have to have it walk the tree.  (No, I'm
> not sure why we'd want to do this.  But that's OK.  ;-) )

OK, that was my initial understanding too, but I had the same doubt as
you as to why we'd want to walk the tree, hence I assumed I was in need
of a cluebat :-)

> 3) 26-modprobe.rules: Replace ATTR{...} with ATTRS{...} everywhere;
> SYSFS searched up before, so we should probably keep doing that, just in
> case it's required.

Would you believe that the initial version of my patch used ATTRS?  As
per my confusion outlined above I convinced myself that ATTR would be
good enough!

>> Oh, and I left contrib/ alone.  Once the rule_generator rules go in,
>> I guess that directory can be removed, right?
>
> Yeah, looks that way.

Great.  Thanks very much for the quick and detailed response, Bryan.
Feel free to commit your patch, or I'll pick it up tonight.

Regards,

Matt.