Glibc-2.4 / kernel-headers

Jim Gifford lfs at jg555.com
Mon Sep 18 21:03:57 PDT 2006

Greg Schafer wrote:
> Dan Nicholson wrote:
>

>> Incidentally, David Woodhouse checked in a series of patches to his
>> repo due to all the failures in headers_check. We'll see what actually
>> gets into Linus' tree.
>>
>> http://kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/dwmw2/kernel-headers.git;a=summary
>>

> Ummm, that stuff is already in Linus' tree. That repo you pointed to is
> special in that it was setup specifically to show what header changes
> in Linus' tree are visible in userspace ie: David Woodhouse set up some
> scripts to run whenever Linus makes some commits which affect the exported
> headers.
>
> http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0607.1/2378.html

Dan and Greg,
    That stuff doesn't work that well with anything outside of x86 or
x86_64. I've tried to work with David on this stuff, but his views are
scewed. He's going to make the make install-headers quit producing
headers that are currently utilized by packages to force them to change,
which is a great idea. The issue with that is some things are going to
break in BLFS very badly. As far as CLFS is concerned, we will be
sticking with out sanitized headers script. http://headers.cross-lfs.org.