base - test suite should not be run as root

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 06:26:29 PDT 2006

On 9/12/06, Peter <peterennis at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > http://www.diy-linux.org/x86-reference-build/chroot.html#c-bash
> >
> > I took a look more at this. The issue is not full coverage of tests.
> > The tests are run regardless (DIY says the same). They are just
> > warnings that they shouldn't be run as root. I assume it's just being
> > safe that the tests don't do something bad as root.
>
> Thanks for the info and research.
>
> Is this worth adding as a note in the book?

That would be the right thing, at least. But I'm still thinking about
finding a way to run it as non-root. Later I was thinking that some
tests certainly could be affected if you were root or not. Tests that
were affected by device permissions, for instance. I ran the tests as
a dummy user, and they all passed, I think.

However, testing as non-root would require a fairly major change in
that either shadow would have to move up to the beginning of the
chapter, or the su from Ch. 5 coreutils would have to be installed.

I'll try to add some of these notes to the ticket. Right now I'm
working on glibc-2.4, so that's high priority.

--
Dan