Download Directories

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 11:26:25 PDT 2006

On 9/4/06, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:

> I thought the LFS downloads went in
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/downloads/
>
> That's where the links in the book go.

They do right now. There's an issue with that, though. If you still
want the download location to be
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/downloads/development/udev-config-20060715.tar.bz2,
then everytime the book is regenerated, someone will have to put the
file or a symlink back there.

What I'm saying is that udev-config and lfs-bootscripts should not be
definitely tied to the book download directory even though they share
the same repo. Another download location that would work is
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/downloads/udev-config/. The link
in the book to the download location would point there instead. Same
for lfs-bootscripts. My original proposal was that they be in
downloads.lfs.org/{udev-config,lfs-bootscripts}/. Either place is
fine. If downloads.lfs.org is deprecated, that's no issue to me.

This would allow the developers of the udev-config and lfs-bootscripts
to make changes and not have them automatically get included in the
book. (Think the huge makeover that will happen to the udev rules with
the new syntax in udev-098) Then, when they're ready, they can create
a tarball and put it in
www.lfs.org/lfs/downloads/udev-config/udev-config-$(date).tar.bz2 and
update the book to use this new tarball. This would also allow these
developers more control if any of the installation instructions
change, say if udev-config adds a new rules file.

Then at release time, tarballs with the LFS version in the name can be
placed in www.lfs.org/lfs/downloads/6.2.1/udev-config-6.2.1.tar.bz2,
for instance. That's how I look at it anyway.

> Should all the files in downloads.linuxfromscratch.org be moved to the
> museum?

There are still useful things like make_devices, rpm2targz and
deb2targz there. The last two are linked to in the BLFS book. They'd
probably need a new home that doesn't indicate they're obsolete.

--
Dan