Dead Project? (I hope not)

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Aug 20 09:31:42 PDT 2006

Thomas Trepl wrote:

> What I'm missing is the "be"-version we had years ago. This bleeding edge
> version was where all the fun has been brought to us. From time to time, the
> beLFS didnt work, had a lot of bugs, typos and all the stuff.

Doesn't sound like the particular level of quality we strive for in the
LFS group of books to me!

> I'd like to vote for bring
> up the bleeding edge again - with a quite relaxed commit policy.
> Why i do think that way?  Because i feel that it is tried to have the
> development book as stable as possible. Nothing wrong with it, but it lasts
> sooo long until new versions like gcc-4.1.1 got implemented.

The reason why gcc-4.1.1 took so long to get implemented was lack of
developer time - the same reason why the latest stable book took so long
to get out too.

Thomas, what specific features would you have in this "bleeding edge"
version of the book, if one were to exist?  And, why are these not in
Trac as "Enhancement" style tickets so everyone in the community can see
your ideas, comment on them, and perhaps even propose patches to see
them introduced?

I don't see the "don't break the build" mantra of the books as a Bad
Thing.  In fact, I think it's very important so that we actually get
people testing the new features rather than complaining that they can't
complete a build.  Breakage is allowed to happen - just on the machines
that the patch is being developed on.  Obviously, interim patches can be
  attached to the associated Trac Tickets so that Work In Progress can
be monitored and tested, but the final patch that hits the subversion
repository must have passed a jhalfs build, IMO (and yes, I know some of
my recent package updates didn't meet that standard but the bug in
jhalfs that led to that has now been fixed :-)!).

Regards,

Matt.