initramfs - why not?

Zachary Kotlarek profplump at engineer.com
Mon Oct 31 17:50:21 PST 2005

On Oct 31, 2005, at 5:59 PM, Bryan Kadzban wrote:

> What I'm wondering is, for anyone that doesn't think an initramfs
> is good, why do you think that?

For all the reasons you listed below -- with an initrd I'd need to
maintain a whole set of binaries and libraries in a file systems that
doesn't get used except for the first 5 seconds after boot. While
there are certainly things you can do with an initrd I've never seen
the benefits as outweighing the hassle of creating and maintaining
the filesystem.

     Zach