config.site

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 10:32:12 PST 2005

On 10/30/05, Archaic <archaic at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> One thing that sounds interesting is to not use it in LFS, but use it in
> BLFS. That way people learn both methods. If that is not feasible for
> BLFS, then I don't think it should be in just the LFS book as removes
> the need to do things manually. Repetition is good for learning while
> building LFS.

That's a great idea.  I was envisioning a lot of people with broken
systems on lfs-support that had not exported CONFIG_SITE or something.
 This is a good compromise.  Even a simple config.site can help a lot:
test "$prefix" = NONE && prefix=/usr
test "$mandir" = '${prefix}/man' && mandir='${prefix}/share/man'
test "$infodir" = '${prefix}/info' && infodir='${prefix}/share/info'
test "$libexecdir" = '${exec_prefix}/libexec' && libexecdir='${prefix}/sbin'
test "$sysconfdir" = '${prefix}/etc' && sysconfdir='/etc'

Most of the BLFS packages I build are literally CMMI (almost takes the
fun out of it).

--
Dan