Perl - Cross-LFS Multilib

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Oct 27 13:35:04 PDT 2005

  (Adding Jim back to the CC)

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005, Ken Moffat wrote:

> Apart from that, this has two deficiencies in my view:
>
> (i) our 64-bit perl installs in /usr/lib instead of /usr/lib64,
> as do all subsequent modules (tested with XML-Parser, which finds libexpat
> from /usr/lib64, but installs its own (64-bit) Expat.so under /usr/lib/perl5.
>
> (ii) the defines for privlib, sitelib, vendorlib, archlib do not affect what,
> or where, perl itself installs and therefore I regard them as unnecessary
> additions.
>
> I agree that a 64-bit perl seems to be adequate on multilib (I'm sure
> somebody will find an exotic 32-bit chroot example that needs a 32-bit perl,
> but for normal use I'm happy unless anybody responds to my earlier post on
> -chat).

  OK, using Ryan's patch from last week plus the installstyle echo, with
only a 64-bit perl, everything is in /usr/lib64/perl5 and XML-Parser
installs into /usr/lib64/perl5/site_perl.  Looks good, apart from
the libc=/lib/ issue in 'perl -V'.

  In all cases, the perl and XML-Parser testsuites completed ok.

Ken