Attemping multilib Cross LFS from Mac OS X

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Oct 25 13:11:09 PDT 2005

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

> Hey Guys,
>
> Throwing this out there in case anyone has any ideas. I'm following the
> current Cross LFS instructions (generally) to attempt to build multilib on a
> PowerPC G5 running Mac OS X. (I added a patch for ppc multilib just now to
> the patches repo for that.) I can get up to the glibc-headers section before
> hitting an error.

  Do you mean you've built linux-libc-headers and cross-binutils, then
hit this problem while attempting to build the glibc headers ?  I'm
slightly confused because ppc (32) was the first arch where I noticed
glibc headers NOT being built.

> sysdeps/generic/bits/types.h:31:20: No include path in which to find stddef.h

> It *seems* like the --with-headers flag isn't working the way it should.

  If you are doing something unusual, it doesn't always do to trust the
error messages.  Mostly, they are apt, but sometimes the cause of the
error is not what the person who wrote the message expected.  I think
OSX used to give difficulties because it was, or is, case insensitive,
but casual googling suggests there are probably other oddities.

  I hope /tools/include/linux/stddef.h does indeed exist ?  In which
case, a part of the build process is confused - the includes for linux
sysdeps show up in what you posted, but something else somewhere has to
recognise it is running on linux, or building for linux, to know that
include/linux is a good place to look.  I'd hope
--host=ppc64-unknown-linux-gnu would suffice, but I've never tried to
build from a non-linux host.

  Perhaps, try symlinking /tools/include/stddef.h to
/tools/include/linux/stddef.h (based on
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/crossgcc/2005-09/msg00092.html ) ?
If that helps, the end of the thread hinted that other headers might
perhaps need the same treatment.

  Oh, if you feel a disturbance in the force, that's probably my envy.
Hrmph. G5, indeed ;-)  Hope it goes well.

Ken