Handling the change from the temp phase to the final target phase

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Fri May 27 15:59:01 PDT 2005

Bryan Kadzban wrote:

> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> Has it been shown that the current method has leaks from the build
>> system into the new LFS system?  If so, I'm not aware of them.  Can
>> you point to anything specific?
>
> If you use a host with "new" binutils (2.15.x), but are building "old"
> binutils (2.14 was what was current when this issue came up), then after
> you install the "old" binutils, linking won't work anymore.  gcc's specs
> file uses --as-needed, because 2.15.x supported it, but the ld from 2.14
> will fail because it doesn't support it.

Using this as a reason for cross building is a hell of a stretch IMHO.
Once understood, the problem is minor and easily worked around. It's
simply an artifact of the way PATH is handled in the current build. More
info here:

  http://www.diy-linux.org/pipermail/diy-linux-dev/2004-August/000050.html

In fact, cross building introduces a regression in PATH handling in the
pre-chroot phase. One no longer gains the advantage of having newly built
tools integrated into the build process as they get installed and become
available. While not a major problem, it is a factor that must be
considered, and it's something likely to bite when building on older
hosts. (The solution of course is to first build a bunch of host tools,
but how far do you want to go? BTW, Ryan's scripts address host tools but
the current cross-lfs docs do not. You must build some host tools on older
hosts or else the cross build will blow up.)

Regards
Greg
--
http://www.diy-linux.org/