prerequisite page

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jun 28 12:07:35 PDT 2005

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 08:05:36PM +0100, Matthew Burgess wrote:

> Note that the prerequisites page appears to be a 'reader must know/have
> done x/y/z prior to building LFS'.  Host system requirements are
> distinct from this and therefore mentioned in section 5.2.  I quite like
> that split really, though if there's general consensus in moving things
> around then we can do that.

The reason is twofold. One, if you can't compile a kernel (or worse,
can't install a .deb or .rpm kernel) then you won't get much out of LFS.
2nd, who wants to create a partition, format the partition, mount the
partition, create a dir structure, create an LFS user, create an
environment for the LFS user, download a bunch of packages and patches,
and then BAM! Stopped by the lack of a proper kernel?

--
Archaic

Hardened Linux From Scratch
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hlfs