First console command completes but ...

steve crosby steve.crosby at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 06:57:11 PDT 2005

On 6/24/05, Bernard Leak <bernard at brenda-arkle.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Dear All,
>                apologies if I'm doing something completely stupid.
> (or duplicating an existing question - though I don't think
> I am).

The only stupid question is one left unasked ;)

<snip>

>output as requested, and then seems to hang without
>actually returning control to the calling shell.  What I type is
>echoed, and 'return' appears as a newline, but I get no other
>response.  I can force a reboot with Ctrl-Alt-Del, but without
>another machine to play with I can't do much else.

This sounds suspiciously like the known bash bug - not returning
control to the shell. There is a patch for this on the LFS patches
repository, called something like bash-3.0-WCONTINUED-1.patch

Recompile bash with that patch and you should be all go.

- --
Steve Crosby